This recipe comes from the scenic Devil’s Thumb Ranch Resort & Spa in Tabernash, CO (a little more than an hour drive from Denver) and its one of the top vegetarian dishes from the resort’s award-winning executive chef Evan Treadwell. We’re making this light, healthy and simply beautiful beet recipe tonight. Are you?
4 beets, such as red, golden, Chioga or a combination
1/3 cup broken pecans
1/2 to 3/4 pound organic salad greens
1 ounce Feta cheese, crumbled (about 1/3 cup)
1 to 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, tarragon or parsley
1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar or red wine vinegar
salt and freshly ground pepper
1 small garlic clove, minced or pressed, optional
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, or to taste
3 tablespoons walnut oil
1/4 cup olive oil
1. Heat oven to 425 degrees.
2. FOR SALAD: Cut away beet leaves by slicing across top end of beet, about 1/2 inch above where stems and root meet (save leaves for another purpose)
3. Scrub beets under warm water with vegetable brush. Place them in baking dish.
4. Add about 1/4-inch water. Cover tightly with foil and bake 30 minutes to 1 hour, depending on size of beets. (Medium beets take about 45 minutes, small ones about 30, and really large ones take 1 hour).
5. Test to see if the beets are done by probing it with a knife. It should slide in easily. Remove beets from heat and allow to cool.
6. When cool, slip skins off by rubbing with your fingers. Cut beets in half lengthwise, then slice or cut them into small wedges.
7. Toast pecans in dry skillet over medium heat, shaking pan or stirring nuts, until they begin to smell toasty and are lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer them immediately to a plate or bowl.
8. Toss beets with salad greens, pecans, feta cheese and fresh herbs.
9. FOR DRESSING: Mix together vinegars, salt and pepper to taste, garlic and mustard. Whisk in oils. Taste. If you want dressing to be a bit more tart, add another 1 teaspoon vinegar. Toss with salad and serve.
YIELD: 4 to 6 servingsRelated links: